Race Equity Resources
Systemic racism leads to the health disparities that we at Eat Smart Move More South Carolina are dedicated to eliminating. If you are interested in learning more about how to incorporate racial equity into HEAL community work, we have compiled a list of resources for you. This is not exhaustive by any means but meant to be a place to start. If you are interested in discussing further, we would love to speak with you. Contact us.
Tools & Trainings to Use in Coalition Work:
- The Welcome Table. The staff of ESMMSC recently participated in this process. You can read about our experience here.
- The Alliance for a Healthier SC Health Equity Resources Page. Find equity metrics embedded in each of the priority areas of the Alliance, a Call to Action for Health Equity, and resources to improve health FOR ALL in our state.
- The American Public Health Association Webinar Series. The APHA webinar series on Racism as a social determinant of health begins June 9, 2020.
- The American Public Health Association Racism and Health Resource Page
- County Health Rankings Webinars
- Race Equity and Inclusion Partnership. This a group of local and state agencies, community organizations and nonprofits, and others who are working to incorporate REI into organizational practice.
Additional Reading, Listening or Watching:
- Netflix Documentary: 13th. The ESMMSC staff watched this together several years ago.
- The 1619 Project. The NY Times published this podcast series about the legacy of slavery in America.
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
- The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson