MC: Curtis Wilson, Richland County Sherriff’s Department
DJ Jeremiah, D2Jay Productions
- What is the Youth Summit?
Since 2013, youth leaders have met for Eat Smart Move More South Carolina’s (ESMMSC) annual Youth Summit. These youth are part of ESMMSC’s Healthy Young People Empowerment (HYPE) Project and gather for an exciting day to celebrate their successes, meet other youth leaders, and share stories of how they were able to advocate for change in their communities. This year, we’re expanding the audience and theme of the Youth Summit. We’re inviting other youth-serving organizations to join our HYPE youth in learning about the importance of young people’s involvement in community change. Our theme is #beyondthehashtag. In the past few years, young people have been at the forefront advocating on social justice issues. Our Youth Summit will bring youth leaders together to talk with their peers about making lasting community change and the importance of having a collective voice.
- What is the HYPE Project?
The HYPE Project is ESMMSC’s youth empowerment initiative that motivates and engages youth in policy, systems, and environmental change efforts throughout South Carolina. It is designed to build the skills of youth so that they can become greater voices in their communities. HYPE activities focus on healthy eating and active living; however, youth are encouraged to use the skills they learn to be lifelong champions of positive change.
- Are you on social media?
Yes, look for the HYPE Project on social media using the following handles:
- Facebook: Eat Smart Move More South Carolina
- Instagram: thehypeprojectsc
- The hashtag for the Youth Summit is: #beyondthehashtag and #thehypeprojectsc
- When and where is the Youth Summit?
The 5th Annual Youth Summit will be on July 15, 2017, from 9:30am-4:30pm, at South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, SC, a four-year historically black university founded in 1890. Activities for the Youth Summit will begin in the gym.
- Who should attend the Youth Summit?
Youth ages 12-17 are invited to attend the Youth Summit. We recommend youth attend in groups that have chaperones and/or parents; however, individuals can attend with a parent. All youth and adults who attend the Youth Summit will need to register.
- Can I invite my friends and other youth to attend the Youth Summit?
Yes, you can invite friends and other youth to attend the Youth Summit as long as they are attending with a group that has a chaperone or a parent. If the individual isn’t a current HYPE team member, then he/she must purchase a ticket.
- How do I register?
All youth and adult attendees must register for the Youth Summit on Eventbrite. Payments for the Youth Summit can be made on Eventbrite using PayPal, credit or debit card. We prefer attendees register via Eventbrite; however, paper registrations will be available upon request to email@example.com or 803-667-9810, ext. 306. Payment, in the form of a check, money order or credit card, must be submitted with the paper registration. Youth under the age of 18 must have a parent/guardian complete their registration and agree to the event permissions.
- When can I register and is there a fee to attend?
Please see registration periods and fees below:
- Current HYPE Youth and Adult Advisor Registration: April 17- June 15 at no cost. HYPE youth and adult advisors registering after June 15 must purchase a ticket. Everyone registering as a HYPE participant or adult advisor must be on ESMMSC’s roster for your county HYPE Team. Due to the resources that go into hosting our Summit, please only register participants who are committed to attending the event. If a HYPE Team has greater than three no shows, the team will be invoiced $10.00 for each no show.
- Early bird registration: April 17- May 31 at $8.00 per ticket
- General registration: June 1- July 1 at $10.00 per ticket
- Speakers and Special Guests: April 17- May 31 at no cost. There will be a $10.00 ticket fee for speakers and special guests registering after May 31. Special guests will be contacted directly and instructed to register as a special guest.
- Can I cancel my registration or send someone in my place?
Registration cancellations for the Youth Summit must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 1, 2017. All cancellations received on or before July 1, 2017, are entitled to a refund, minus a $3.00 cancellation No refunds will be given to registrants who cancel after July 1, 2017, or who fail to attend the Youth Summit – no exceptions will be made for any reason, including medical or family emergencies or weather conditions. HYPE youth and advisor cancellations must be made by July 1, 2017, to not be considered a no show. If a HYPE Team has greater than three no shows, the team will be invoiced $10.00 for each no show. Substitutions for registrants can be made at any time before July 11; however, a written notice must be submitted to email@example.com. For complete accuracy, the new attendee must register online as a “substitute attendee” by July 11.
- What should I wear?
As a rule of thumb, please wear attire/accessories that would be appropriate for your school’s dress code. Keep in mind that we will have physical activity breaks built into the day so dress appropriately. No flip flops or sandals.
- What should I bring?
Please do not bring any valuables to the Youth Summit. ESMMSC will not be responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items.
- What are the rules for Youth Summit attendees?
The Youth Summit offers many unique opportunities and experiences. Youth and adults are expected to act honestly, courteously, and considerately towards others attending the Summit. Attendees will:
- Participate fully in all Youth Summit activities to the best of their ability.
- Be responsible for his/her behavior.
- Follow the directions, rules, and regulations established by the Youth Summit planning team:
- Adhere to all scheduled times and be in designated areas at all times.
- Dress appropriately for all activities, as we will be doing some physical activity.
- Wear nametags all times.
- Do not leave the Youth Summit site without prior authorization.
- Do not be involved in any way with alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, illegal drugs, vandalism, theft, bullying, sexual harassment, or sexual contact.
- What if I need special accommodations?
We strive to have a Youth Summit that will be an enjoyable event for everyone. If you need special accommodations, please contact the Youth Engagement Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-667-9810, ext 306 to discuss your needs further.
- Are meals provided?
We offer healthy meal options at all of our events and meetings. A healthy breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack will be provided to each Youth Summit attendee. You will be able to include information regarding food allergies or restrictions on your registration form.
- Who will supervise youth during the Youth Summit?
Each youth participant is required to attend the Youth Summit with a local chaperone. Youth must identify their group during registration or can register individually if they are accompanied by a parent. Local chaperones are responsible for supervising youth attendees during the Youth Summit. ESMMSC staff and volunteers will be present to ensure that the event runs smoothly. The required adult to child ratio for the Youth Summit is 1:8. There are three periods during the Youth Summit when adult chaperones will be required to complete a headcount of their youth participants.
- How do teams travel to the Youth Summit?
The group that you will attend the Youth Summit with is responsible for arranging for transportation to and from the Youth Summit. Only current HYPE Teams can be reimbursed for travel to the Youth Summit. Submit the travel quote form to the Youth Engagement Manager at email@example.com by June 1.